I love steampunk fashion & accessories–in fact, I love these 2 things so much that I cannot relegate them solely to cons, shows, or Halloween. “Style me Steampunk” is a series of blog posts on how to infuse your everyday wardrobe with a steampunk flair. From dressy to casual, office appropriate attire to outfits you can wear when you paint the town red–I will offer up ideas for outfits that will hopefully inspire some of you to dip into your closet and get creative! Two weeks ago I officiated my cousin Becca's wedding. As per the groom's request, I wore a steampunk outfit for the occasion. (You can read more about their handmade wedding here and here.) What I love about this look is that it's steampunk, feminine, and formal without being costumey or over the top.
To recreate this look, you'll need:
- Black top hat (accessories optional, mine is adorned with vintage pale pink feathers and a filigree pin my mom & I found in Paris)
- Black tuxedo waistcoat (I purchased mine from ModCloth but there are also tons of fabulous Etsy sellers who make waistcoats and tuxedo jackets in Victorian/Circus styles and cuts. You can also make your own using this Simplicity Pattern too!)
- Tulle & Lace Dress (I had to find a dress that complimented the wedding's colors as well as the rest of the bridal party. I found this dress at Target--and it's on sale now. I added black lace trim around the hem underneath the tulle and also to the bodice of the dress to dress it up. I recreated the bodice shape from a design I saw on a Victorian evening gown at the Victoria & Albert Museum ages ago.)
- White Lace Gloves (thrifted)
- Black stockings
- Plain black Mary Janes (which I then ornamented with steampunk black satin bow shoe clips which I made myself)
- Steampunk Jewelry & Accessories (I chose dainty gearrings, an heirloom cut glass necklace, and one of my rhinestone & gear bracelets.)
I had a blast creating this look--especially since it was for such a festive, happy occasion. I'm so lucky I have a family that celebrates my eclectic steampunk fashion sense! Have fun creating this look for yourself!